'Home thrust' definitions:
Definition of 'Home thrust'
- Home \Home\, a.
- 1. Of or pertaining to one's dwelling or country; domestic; not foreign; as home manufactures; home comforts. [1913 Webster]
- 2. Close; personal; pointed; as, a home thrust. [1913 Webster]
- 3. (Games) In various games, the ultimate point aimed at in a progress; goal; as: (a) (Baseball) The plate at which the batter stands; same as home base and home plate. (b) (Lacrosse) The place of a player in front of an opponent's goal; also, the player. [Webster 1913 Suppl.]
- Home base or Home plate (Baseball), the base at which the batter stands when batting, and which is the last base to be reached in scoring a run.
- Home farm, grounds, etc., the farm, grounds, etc., adjacent to the residence of the owner.
- Home lot, an inclosed plot on which the owner's home stands. [U. S.]
- Home rule, rule or government of an appendent or dependent country, as to all local and internal legislation, by means of a governing power vested in the people within the country itself, in contradistinction to a government established by the dominant country; as, home rule in Ireland. Also used adjectively; as, home-rule members of Parliament.
- Home ruler, one who favors or advocates home rule.
- Home stretch (Sport.), that part of a race course between the last curve and the winning post.
- Home thrust, a well directed or effective thrust; one that wounds in a vital part; hence, in controversy, a personal attack. [1913 Webster]